Resident Life Coach — Weekend Afternoon JobWaxahachie, TEXAS 34133
Why You'll Love This JobThis is your opportunity to join a vibrant community where adults with intellectual, cognitive or development disabilities can live, learn, and thrive. The Resident Life Coach assists adults with special needs learn independent living skills by planning teaching opportunities for residents that promote a high level of health, well-being, engagement and growth. Along the way you will be a mentor, counselor and support as our residents navigate life at their appropriate level of independence. Our coaches work as a team while also developing and conducting activities individually.
You will be working on a beautiful 40-acre campus near historic downtown Waxahachie which includes 28 cottages and community buildings for dining, fitness and education. Teaching occurs with general classrooms, technology classroom, culinary classroom, outdoor areas and in our activity building.
We are excited to have you join our growing community!
The weekend afternoon shift is 2:45-11:15 p.m.
Assists in planning, scheduling and conducting activities and programs that provide physical, intellectual, social, vocational, emotional and spiritual opportunities for the residents.
Provide assistance in learning life skills such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, budgeting, hygiene and appropriate social interaction
Works with other Coaches in functions and assists in coordinating events from beginning to end including setup, running, and breaking down for the event
Provides ongoing communication and interaction with residents.
Organizes and supervises volunteer staff.
May accompany and drive residents to off-site activities or employment.
Addresses resident groups and other groups on subjects of common interest.
Documents incidents, resident activity participation and progress on goals.
Interacts with residents, guests and staff in at atmosphere of hospitality.
Protects the privacy of the resident when communicating oral and written information.
Skills & Qualifications
- Require one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer one or more years experience working with adults with IDD
- Satisfactory MVR for persons who will drive.
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree and training in Special Education, Activity Therapy, Recreation Therapy, or Music Therapy.
- Must at all times meet background checks as well as employability conditions of the Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR) and Nurse Aid Registry (NAR), as maintained by Texas Department of Aging and Disabilities (TDADS)